- Adopted animal must remain in the United States until titled. (Eligibility occurs on its one year anniversary.)
- Applicant has no convictions of inhumane treatment of animals or violation of the Wild Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act.
- Applicant must provide a facility with access to feed, water and shelter. NOTE: Facility refers to enclosed area such as corral, barn, stall, etc. Approval is not based on pasture fence height, but the height of the enclosed area.
- Applicant must provide a stock or horse trailer with a rear swing gate and covered top. Provided the dividers are removed or folded back, slant trailers are acceptable. Drop-ramps are acceptable if there is an additional back gate to the trailer.
- Two-horse trailers approved on case-by-case basis. No one-horse trailers approved.
- Applicant must be at least 18 years old.
- Shelter requirements detailed on page 14.
”Make History... Adopt a Living Legend
To gentle American Mustangs currently gathered in BLM holding corrals and facilities, in preparation for adoption to deserving individuals and families.
To place American Mustangs into public service based on their capabilities and characteristics.
To provide an educational outreach platform to students, organizations and the general public, on the nature, history, characteristics and adaptability of American Mustangs.